Sunday, January 25, 2009

Fasting-starting with M&Ms


I've decided to add Fasting to my "rule of life" as a spiritual practice. I am starting with M&Ms. This sounds like a small thing. But, you don't have a close up of my thighs, and don't know the huge quantity of candy I've had this year. You'd think I made a New Year's resolution to eat 8lbs a month. I love the peanut + chocolate combo. Well, I'm going to practice restraint. I'm going without my favorite candy for three weeks. Starting now. (I'm chewing my last three) After I swallow these, that's it! Sure this doesn't sound so big a deal, but I get these CRAVINGS! usually after supper. I buy in bulk and I still have some in the house, so it could be hard.

The way fasting is helpful is that when you feel the pain of want you pray and focus (or refocus) on God, his provision, and worship him. He is a sustainer.

Have you ever fasted? How did it go?

Give it a try, on a small scale. Maybe just skip one meal (like lunch) in a week. Or withhold a typical treat.

HERE I GO!

No comments: