Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Yes, Chocolate can make life better

I'm supposed to be turning into an expert on spirituality at this point, and I don't want to just start tossed my opinions around willy-nilly quite yet, but I think I also have science on my side here too, in this case.

It seems to me that chocolate has some spiritual benefits.

I'm going to do my own research as I take my gi-NORMOUS bag of peanut M&Ms to my 9 hours of Contemporary spirituality class tomorrow.

Details to follow, if I don't get ill on the stuff.

2 comments:

T C Booher said...

Is contemporary spirituality any different from New Testament spirituality, that is to say, is the practice of being spiritual any different for us today than it was for 1st C Christians?

I like to think of the practice of spirituality as synonomous with the practice of holiness, which is the practice of repentance from our sin unto a persistent, focused practice of what is pleasing to the Lord.

Does contemporary spirituality have much to say about dealing with sin through repentance?

I Peter 1:13-16
Col 3:5-17
Heb 12:14
Romans 12:1,2

LisaColónDeLay said...

It seems this depends on the context of the particular contemporary spirituality. Since we are not in the 1st century I don't we can know exactly what they thought and felt, nor are those issues the same that play into our purview, Roman government, Jewish history, ethnicity, and religion, etc. Theology and how God reveals himself through specific and general revelation play into our understanding of him as well.

By contrast, Christian spirituality particularly contends with issues that pertain to Jesus which involve our sin problem and reconciliation with God. Some Christian approaches seem to stress this sin issue more as conversion moment event, while others see sin and repentance as a process that involves taking on the character of Christ and becoming like him.

Thank you for posing this. What are your thoughts?